Knit the heels in white or leave it?August 30, 2009
Knit Misti Alpaca Taos Socks
I would have finished these socks yesterday, but I ran out of yarn on the toe of my 2nd sock. Sigh… This is the first time I have ran out of yarn knitting socks for myself. My feet aren’t “that” big. I could have used a smaller CO, but when you are at the end of your second sock…most people aren’t crazy enough to go back and reknit it all.
I had some options:
1. Buy more yarn….but since I don’t have a job, that isn’t really an option at the moment.
2. Take out the toe on the first sock and use it on the 2nd sock and just knit them both smaller and gift them to my mother.
3. Take out the toe on the first sock and use it on the 2nd and then knit the toe in different yarn.
4. Reknit both socks with less cast on.
5. Find someone on Ravelry with the same knit sock yarn and beg for their leftovers… (I was tempted on this one, ha ha!)
Usually I have leftover yarn…I am boggled at how I ran out.
I chose option #3.
The yarn is really soft. It also is really “sticky” and would find itself in knots a million times. At times I hated it because of the knots. I also had 1 break and 1 thin spot in my skein. I really wondered if perhaps this skein was missing some yarn, but I don’t have a good enough scale to weigh it.
Now that I am done, I am tempted to take the heel off and knit it in white, too…and maybe the cuff. The white is just some wool sock yarn I had. It was either that or green.
I think that things are starting to look a little bit better for me on a personal level. I haven’t found a job yet, but the unemployment checks are helping.